Sunday, July 7, 2013

Hot As Fire and Patriotism

This is July the Fourth weekend. Marcus is in Calgary for a 50 mile race he's running. He texted me last night to tell me he finished, so I'm waiting for the full details. But very proud of him. He was training a lot for this. In addition to running as usual, he's been going to Cross Fit regularly, and it's awesome. He's an avid believer now---who knew?!?! So it's sweltering outside. Like crazy. Hot is nice, don't get me wrong. I just wish I had a beautiful ocean to jump into with temperatures like this. The past few days I watched a couple of good movies: "Mommie Dearest"--about the madness that was Joan Crawford, and "Teddy Bear", this Danish movie about a socially awkward bodybuilder who goes to Thailand to find love. Random, but really good! Then some classics: "Coming to America" and "Harold and Kumar Go to Whitecastle". I'm not the most patriotic person, but I definitely appreciate being an American. Don't get me wrong, I think there's a lot this country can learn from the rest of the world, and I think that the U.S. can improve on tons of things and try to be more open minded in some regards. We have a long way to go, and there are a lot of shameful things in our past (and present). But when I see what's going on in Egypt right now, it really makes me feel lucky to be an American. That's a scary situation, and I wonder how it will get resolved. I feel lucky I happened to be born here in the U.S., lucky to have opportunity. And sometimes I do feel like the "American" attitude can be so disrespectful and almost bully-like, but then again, it's pretty awesome to be so ballsy and in you face about freedom and your beliefs, and I guess without that, this country wouldn't be where it is today. Okay, I'm done with my patriotic speech. But I'm just sayin'...Anyway for Fourth of July, I went to my parents' house and we had some BBQ. Jennifer made homemade graham crackers which were crazy and we made s'mores with them, except with Cadbury chocolate instead of Hershey's. Incredible. I've been sick for what feels like forever, so I've been home bound and somewhat stir crazy. I got some sewing alterations done, cleaning, started studying Swedish again, and trying to eat healthy since I haven't been working out the past two weeks. Marcus and I are considering trying to make some healthier changes to how we eat at home, but we figured we'd start once he's done running the 50 mile race, so he didn't have to focus on the diet thing, too. Fair enough.

No comments: