Thursday, July 23, 2009

One of the Few on the Filipino Frontier


Last night I met Marcus after work and we ended up eating at a small hole in the wall type restaurant that caught our eye because it always seemed busy, but we didn't know anything about it. It's called Grill 21. And it turned out to serve Filipino food! And pretty damn good Filipino food, for that matter. Because there's such a shortage of Filipino restaurants in Manahttan, and because honestly, my mom's cooking is slamming, it's really hard for me to justify eating at a Filipino restaurant in this borough. But I had the pancit palabok (rice noodles with delicious garnishes) and suman for dessert, a personal childhood favorite. It's sweet rice that's served in banana leaf and you can top it with the sweet, coconut paste. Anyway, Marcus had rice with bitter melon, eggplant, string beans, shrimp, and squash. They apparently serve breakfast, too, so I'm definitely going to check it out. You should, too!

No comments: