Monday, March 8, 2010

A Mis-Casting Disaster


Yesterday my friends Gina and Christina met up with me here in the city. We ate brunch at Odeon, then walked along the Hudson River down in the World Trade Area. We ended up at our apartment just hanging out and catching up. It was so good to see them! I had not seen Gina in seven months...so sad. Last night Marcus and I watched "Falling For Grace"...this indie movie that I took some form of interest in since my beloved "Queer As Folk" series is done! Augh. Makes me heart sink. Anyway, one of the stars from the show was in the movie---Brian! So I rented it. Talk about MIS-CASTING. The storyline basically goes like this: successful Asian American woman has always dreamt of being part of the elite socialite crowd in New York. Somehow gets mistaken for being a member of a prominent, wealthy family, and gets introduced to successful lawyer who also happens to be part of a super upper crust rich New York family. She fails to tell him the truth. Not to mention the actress looks significantly older than the guy, and isn't too attractive, making the premise that he would fall for her not so believable. It wasn't a very good movie, but Marcus and I both agreed that had the lead actress been more age and visually appropriate, the movie would have worked better. I was boggled how she was cast for this movie, since I recognized the casting director, Billy Hopkins. I remember working with him back in the day when I was in film production and he's the creme-de-la-creme of casting on the East Coast. Turns out the lead actress co-wrote and directed the movie...no wonder. So I guess no one had the heart to tell her she was completely wrong for the part...or she didn't listen. I do give it kudos for being a romantic comedy about an interracial couple. We need more movies like that. P.S.: go "Hurt Locker"! Excellent film, first female director to ever win!

No comments: