Monday, December 28, 2009

Finally the Beach on Day Four!


This was beach day. We went to Maracas Beach, a popular beach on Trinidad. It was a beautiful day and there was no way you could wade and frolic in these waters...the waves were so powerful, I wished I knew how to surf. It was crazy. And crazy fun. Marcus took full advantage and was diving under the waves. Me? Well I was in some skimpy bikini, and at least the ladies can vouch for me: when waves hit, bikinis come off. And I didn't feel like playing that game every time a huge wave came my way. So I played in the big waves for a while, but then had to retire to the smaller, more bikini friendly ones. I also learned that the stray (or seemingly stray) dogs of Trinidad are picky---you'd think they'd take any food you had to offer. Well multiple times I only had peanut butter and guava jelly sandwiches, and it was a no go! They turned their noses up to it. Speaking of food, we got to experience a local favorite, and a good one! We had bake n shark sandwiches. Yummy, deep fried fish in a deep fried bread. So good. What's funny is that this beach wasn't huge, yet every 25 feet there seemed to be another bake n shark shack...literally there were 8 places for this stuff. After the beach fun, we headed back home and the in laws threw a little cocktail party. It was quite the international affair, as most of their neighbors are like them, foreigners working on the island. We met a bunch of people. Then later that night we went out with my party queen mother in law to a dance club. And yes, I danced with her to some bumping music as Marcus drank. Fun, but somewhat surreal, too...And Marcus isn't trying to vomit or anything in the photo---we're eating the bake n shark and was making faces. The food was good, trust me!

No comments: