Saturday, July 17, 2010

Jack and the Usual Suspects...Oh Ya!




Yesterday Terry-a, Seren (her daughter), and I headed off to see Lauren and her newborn Jack. We first stopped at Terry'a's parents' house so Seren could frolic and take a nap. We were in the back yard and this beautiful butterfly was all over the flowers and seemed pretty comfortable with us around. We drove up to Lauren's place and got to meet Jack. Beautiful blue eyes and a pretty chill personality. Which makes sense, since Lauren and her hubbie Nick are pretty chill themselves! He's a pretty happy guy. And we got to hang with Frank the Tank, their cute cat (and cousin to Gustaf...? Cuz he's a black cat). He was purring up a storm when I pet him. So yesterday was fun. And I haven't seen Lauren in forever. So today my sisters and I headed up to Brimfield, Massachusetts to check out the big antiques show. We went last year, too. It's a bit of a haul for one day, and it gets painful, but it's fun, and there is usually a fair share of mid century stuff, which is what I like the most. This year there seemed to be less people and less vendors...don't know if the economy took its toll? But we'll be back next year. Although at some point I don't know if my waking up at five in the morning to meet my sisters in Westchester did it, or the extreme heat did (I didn't have a hat on), but I became slightly delirious and thought I was going to pass out. I don't think I was making sense when I spoke (well, let's be honest...I rarely do), and my sisters kept asking me if I wanted to leave. But then Jennifer spotted this great late 1800's framed study of this middle aged man with a mustache posing in his skivvies. It sounds really bad, but it's honestly a really beautiful sketch. So she snatched that, and it woke me up from my stooper. But then I passed out in the car on the way back to Westchester. I caught the train back to NYC, but stopped by the house to see my parents first; in classic style we were greeted by my father who had just finished gardening. He was rocking an all white outfit with a green bandana to keep the sweat out of his eyes. He then drank a beer from the veranda to marvel in his works. Good for him. I've been meaning to share this glorious quote I read in one of those free AM papers they hand out by the subway stations. I love this, in all its ignorance...and Marcus loves it because someone took the time to remember it and print it: "The smartest people I know love on Staten Island. (Pointing to Brooklyn) That's Jersey. The dumbest people I know live there" -Guy on State Island Ferry taking to visitors. Oh, I forgot to mention the preview of the Matisse exhibit at MoMa was great. A lot of stuff I didn't expect to see from Matisse. Highly recommended!

No comments: