Tuesday, July 13, 2010

No To Corn Syrup


I went to the doctor today for an annual checkup. It went fine, although there was a mini fiasco when I tried to get blood work done to check my rabies titers. Since I'm a veterinarian, I had to be vaccinated against rabies. Well, no one, including the doctor, was familiar with the test that had to be run, and it became a problem. I ended up talking to the lab myself to try to sort it out. Anyway, the doctor and I were discussing diet and he reminded me that I should be avoiding corn syrup---an evil that is an ingredient in almost all foods in the US! Why is it evil? It's a simple carbohydrate, it has been linked to multiple conditions, and when you read food labels, if there's an ingredient that you have never heard of, it's probably made from corn syrup. So that's my new kick---to really try to avoid corn syrup. And to try to eat more quinoa, which contains the highest amount of protein of all grains, when cooked. Martha Stewart has a recipe for breakfast that seems pretty good. I have also been meaning to mention the Plastiki. It's a boat that has been constructed entirely of recycled plastic bottles and sustainable materials (glue made of cashews!). David de Rothschild, the heir to the de Rothschild banking fortune, is in charge of this project and apparently he's a big time environmentalist (I didn't know that). I was also enlightened that there's this disgusting, enormous island of used plastic bottles and chemical waste floating in the Pacific Ocean. It's estimated to be twice the size of Texas...disgusting. There's a pretty interesting video about the mission of Plastiki and exactly how the boat was built (when you click on the link, scroll down to see the video).

No comments: