Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Veterinary Behaviorists: Psychiatry for Animals


I'm currently on the Behavior service. Although they mostly see cases of dog aggression, there are also cases involving inappropriate elimination in cats, and some feather picking birds. Unfortunately I've felt like I lacked adequate training in animal behavior, yet veterinarians are always asked to give advice to their clients regarding their pets' behavior! So I thought it was a great reason to take this rotation. Did you know that there are two FDA approved drugs to treat certain veterinary behavioral issues? One is called Reconcile (fluoxetine), a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor, and the other is Clomicalm (clomipramine), a tricyclic antidepressant. Well, I went to the gym tonight and got some work done, which is great. It's almost the weekend, and if all goes well, I might check out this new Viennese cafe in Ithaca. Stacy and I officially booked our trip to Cozumel! We were very excited. Now I just have to get through the next couple of months...

No comments: