Monday, February 4, 2008

Humanity and Bread


I'm going to Michigan in a month to do an externship with a surgeon. When I was waiting to be approved by my school to go, I was scouting out some hotels to stay at. By the time it was approved, the only hotel I wanted to stay at was no longer available. Needless to say, this little trip is going to cost us, and this hotel was a great combo of decent price and the right amenities. So I called yesterday and the hotel clerk told me to call the sales manager and see if they could help me out, since I'd be staying for a long time. I spoke with the sales manager today and the moment she heard I was a veterinary student, she said "even though we're booked, you'll get a room". AND she gave me a great deal! She said that because I was going to be a veterinarian, and she loves animals, she was willing to do it. Damn, humanity is still alive and well. Sometimes when strangers are so nice it really shocks me (in a happy way). Onto bread: have you realized how GOOD really GOOD bread is and how it can completely transform a PB&J sandwich or grilled cheese into something transcendental??? Don't get me wrong, I was raised on Wonder bread. But let's face it, high quality bread is just satisfying! I'm going to miss the bread they make at Wegman's. My favorite is called marathon bread. It has bits of carrot, rolled oats, banana, and pumpkin seeds. They even slice it for you! And forget it, when you're making french toast, you gotta do it right...with GOOD BREAD! I was reading an article in Time Magazine about romance, love, and evolution. It was pretty interesting. Someone said that humans kiss in order to sample their partner's MHC (major histo compatibility), which is part of our immune system. If MHC's are too similar, it makes for a bad match in terms of evolution. There was also mention of men secreting testasterone into their saliva, so when they kiss someone, the other person takes in the testasterone which acts as an aphrodisiac. Pretty interesting. There were also articles about animals, homosexual relationships, and online dating.

No comments: