Thursday, May 8, 2008

Black Bears on the Run and Cat Collars


This morning I turn on the news and the big news up in Syracuse is that a 6-foot black bear was seen running rampant. This was major news...there was live footage and the whole deal, with promised updates if any new developments unfold..it sort of was reminiscent of when O.J. was in his white S.U.V. somewhere in Southern Cali. It was kind of amusing--but of course I want Smokey the Bear to be okay and I of course don't want anyone to get hurt. The news anchor's advice: "if you see the black bear, do not approach it. It could be very dangerous."...um, you think?! I don't understand how anyone in the right mind would even consider approaching a bear, or any wild animal. Even animals that have been in zoos are UNPREDICTABLE and if something goes awry, I don't blame them---they are called "wild" for a reason. One of my professors, a zoo veterinarian, was lecturing on how to sedate and anesthetize a bear, and he described it as seriously dangerous. I've heard from neighbors that there's a local bear that lives here in my town of good old Brooktondale. Anyway, yesterday I got on this kick about how even though Gustaf the cat is an indoor only cat (the way they ALL SHOULD BE for their health and safety...I can give specifics at another time), he should still have some identification in the horrible event something happens and he gets out. I plan to microchip him, but until then, we're going to get him a collar. For cats, you really have to be careful and get a breakaway collar, an elastic collar, or ideally a combination of both. The idea is that with these kinds of cat collars, if a cat gets stuck or caught on its collar, the cat can be released from it or easily slip out and not get strangled. I found a really badass one. But I think we'll going to end up with the boring, but very safe combination collar, and there's only one on the market right now. We're also going to put a slip on ID tag on the collar.

No comments: