Sunday, May 4, 2008

Cozumel: A Retrospective


Here are some conclusions about Cozumel that may be of interest as I reflect upon my lovely vacation: 1) A rental car is highly desirable. Parking is easy, at least around our hotel. Mopeds are fun in theory, but are the #1 cause of accidents on the island. 2) If you want to dance to any kind of music, you're likely to end up in a place like Senor Frog's whether you like it or not. Or you can get lucky and find a local joint like Zona Zhero (Calle 7 near the water I believe). 3) Karaoke is popular on Cozumel. So if you like the spotlight, there you go. But most selections are in Spanish. I sang a Madonna song of course. I wanted to sing a Selena song, but I forgot part of the tune of the one song I remembered, so I didn't want to screw that up. 4) Locals are very friendly. We spoke with a bunch of people: a local veterinarian, the diving boat crew, and oh, ya---Gustavo the dark character...but still, he was nice. 5) Most beaches with calm waters to wade in are associated with a restaurant. Although you don't HAVE to buy food or drink at the restaurant, you feel like you do. The best ones in my opinion, were Mr. Sancho's and Alberto's. We didn't know this arriving to the island and just pictured vast expanses of desolate beach. But they have that, too--but the water is much rougher. 6) Perhaps coffee is not a priority in Cozumel or in Mexico. I already sort of knew that perhaps coffee is not at its finest in Mexico, but I had hoped anyway, since it's a Latin country. I mean, most latin countries have perfected coffee: hello Colombia, hello Cuba. But I did find one place that made great coffee, so who knows. I don't mean to make mass generalizations, but this is based on my two trips to Mexico in the past few years, and on multiple attempts at getting a great cup of coffee. 7) Although many of my friends and family are probably not certified to go SCUBA diving, this is really the place to do it. Although Stacy and I didn't spend our entire vacation diving in Cozumel, I can't imagine NOT diving there. The reefs are incredible, and it's so much more than what you see from snorkeling. Diving is an experience that involves physiology, control, being aware of everything above, below, and to the sides of you, and of course FUN---and hey---you look really cool with all your gear on, right? So maybe if you have some time on a vacation, you should take a course to be certified! It's a beautiful thing, and it's incredibly safe when done right. 8) Seafood in Cozumel is great. So if you're a seafood lover, go for it. Just maybe not at Lobster House, but I admit we didn't eat seafood at that restaurant...maybe it was just a strange night there. 9) Go to the grocery store! I love going to grocery stores and pharmacies in other countries. The large grocery store in Cozumel was so much fun and the baked goods were yummy. 10) Even though most drugs don't require a prescription in Mexico, you may want to think twice. As I previously mentioned, who knows about the quality control. (Plus, if you're not a doctor of some kind, it's probably not wise to start self medicating and possibly contributing to antibiotic resistance!...sorry my plug...)Interestingly, I asked if veterinary drugs required a prescription and the guy at a pharmacy counter said he didn't know, but directed me to another place who could get me "what I wanted"...and finally, thank you so, so much Marcus for an excellent graduation gift! He knew how much I wanted to go diving and have a final hurrah with Stacy before we leave vet school.

No comments: