Monday, September 10, 2007

Cardiology and Chinchillas

So today I was back to school. I have to admit, it was a bit challenging to be motivated since I have been away from Cornell for a month. But I am back on cardiology, which is a great rotation because the people are cool and they're incredible teachers. I have been through this rotation before, so it's sort of a low stress situation, too. We practiced our ECG reading skills and did an Echo (like an ultrasound of the heart) on a chinchilla! Cardiology holds a special place in my heart (no pun intended) because Twinkie has HCM, a very common feline cardiac disease. Although he is showing no clinical signs, we periodically bring him to the Cornell cardiology service to monitor the progression of his disease...although we hope it doesn't progress anymore than where it's at now. I'm going to bring him into school with me sometime while I am on cardiology. Meanwhile, he was recently introduced to a new cat food that has real lobster and is LOVING IT. Although it's meant to be a complete diet for a cat, we give it to Twinkie as a treat. Nothin' beats lobster----nothing.

No comments: