Thursday, April 8, 2010

Early Start


Yesterday evening I was part of a panel discussion at NYU for pre-med/vet/dentistry students. So there was me, a veterinarian, a dentist, some medical students, and a doctor. We had to talk about our experiences in school and as a practicing doctor. We all gave them a dose of reality...that we like our professions, but sometimes the stress, long hours, and other stuff can make you feel as though you wish you weren't doing what you're doing. A fellow panelist even said that sometimes he wished he wasn't in medicine, but it's too late because he's hundreds of thousands in debt, and he's invested so much time in becoming a doctor. Anyway, we also answered run of the mill "what should I expect in school" questions...and at the end, in classic NYU style, each panelist was given a Tiffany's porcelain box, of course adorned with NYU graphics...ha ha. This morning, bright and super early, I headed to Westchester to spend some time at my friend Christina's practice. She was doing surgery, and I wanted to have some surgery time myself, so I ended up shadowing her. She works in apparently the oldest small animal veterinary animal hospital in New York State! I enjoyed myself a lot! And it was so nice to breathe in that clean Westchester air!

No comments: