Thursday, November 29, 2007

For the Girl or Guy Who Has Everything


Have you thought about holiday gifts yet? It's almost time. I myself feel a little old to be receiving gifts, but certain family members still insist on it... Which is fine, but this year I'm just going to ask for donations to my favorite charities. I've been making my modest donations to these organizations, but I figure if someone insists on giving me a gift, then why not donate... Who's on my list? The Morris Animal Foundation, which funds research aimed at protecting, curing, and treating companion animals and wildlife. Guiding Eyes for the Blind, an incredible organization that breeds and houses hundreds of seriously cute and talented dogs that are trained to be seeing eye dogs. They also sponsor blind individuals to spend a few months living at their facility so they can learn how to work with a seeing eye dog. I had the chance to work at this place for two weeks doing physical exams, blood draws, vaccinations, and surgeries. It was so much fun and really cool to see how these dogs can work with the blind and give them the ability to be independent. I also got to see people be matched to their dogs to be, which was exciting. The facility is up in Yorktown Heights, N.Y. I also donate to to the ASPCA, which as we all know has a great rep in terms of animal welfare and promoting shelter adoptions. Places I plan to donate to: Now I'm really into PALS, the organization I mentioned in yesterday's blog, which provides therapy for disabled individuals through horse riding. Heifer International, a great program: you donate money to allow people around the world start their own businesses involving livestock (dairy production), poultry (to sell eggs), and even bees for making honey! I also want to start with Kiva, where you can loan money to individuals in third world countries so they can start or maintain their own small businesses. So if you're stumped on what to do with all your cash, looking to ask people for different types of gifts, or looking to give different types of gifts, there you go!

No comments: