Thursday, October 25, 2007

The Great Expanse


Last night I was watching Anderson Cooper 360 on CNN. I really like that show, and by no means am I a news person. Then after I watched "Planet in Peril", a news documentary about global warming, deforestation, overpopulation, the polar ice caps melting, and the effects on the polar bears. Highly recommended! I missed the first part, but CNN is re-airing both parts of the series I believe starting tomorrow night and through the weekend. So after that show, for whatever reason I became temporarily obsessed with Greenland. I was perplexed as to who lives there, how they live there, and what it's like. So I went to Air Greenland's website to see how much it costs to go there. I kept trying to book a fake ticket, but couldn't get it to work. Apparently they make direct flights from Baltimore...random. BUT I found out some very interesting factoids about Greenland. Like: Greenland was once under Danish rule. It is not considered a European country. The largest city, Nuuk, has a population of about 15,000. Greenlandic people are of Inuit and/or Scandinavian descent. The Inuits invented the kayak. If you have the need for acute treatment, health care is free. The Greenlandic people are predominantly Lutheran. And of course as all of us know, unfortunately the ice caps are melting there at an alarmingly fast rate. It was very interesting for me...but it was late, and I had to just shut the computer off, because I would have kept going...and I don't know why! Then when we were trying to fall asleep, I started obsessing about Iceland, and asking Marcus a billion questions about it. Apparently, heating is free there because of the many geysers all over the country. Then I started up on Lappland, which comprises the northern most regions of Sweden,Finland, and Russia. Marcus trained up there when he was in the army. Finally, since he was trying to fall asleep this whole time, I stopped. We do want to go to Iceland one day, though. Speaking of travels, here's where I've been in the world so far...

No comments: