Monday, October 15, 2007

Welcome Back to the Tropics, Apartment 7


WOOOO!!! I came home today and it was hot...like at my parents' house (and they keep ambient temps in the mid 70s at times)! The heat is definitely working now. Life is good again. And I had a great day at school! Still at the large animal hospital...augh, but I got to do part of a surgery...yeay!, and I LOVE surgery. It was a foal with an umbilical hernia, so we went in there, sliced it out and sewed it back up..well, it was a little more complex than that. The cool thing is that I got to do some of the slicing and suturing. And apparently my technique was pretty good. I am really interested in small animal surgery, and have been for a while, so who knows. The photo above is from my junior surgery last year. I'm still a student, so it's hard to tell what I'll end up doing, but I really do love cutting, suturing, using the surgical instruments, visualizing and manipulating the anatomy... it's all so cool! Well, it's also a ridiculously competitive specialty, to the point where some people don't get residencies. Another potential is anatomic pathology, again, probably because I like cutting (when you do necropsies), seeing the anatomy and seeing the disease, versus just talking about it. But again, I digress...I need to pass boards and graduate first, right? My sisters informed me that they've got new clients, a business down in Wall Street, which is exciting for their newly formed interior design firm. They just started up and they're trying to build clientele, so spread the word. They're on the move. On a random note, have you ever heard of time strips? GREAT idea if you're like me and are obsessed with expiration dates on food! Did you know that most foodborne illnesses in the U.S. are due to viruses? Hey, as a future veterinarian (and technically a guardian of the country's food supply...bet you didn't realize that about vets!), I have to know these things.

No comments: