Saturday, October 6, 2007

Two Things That Are Alive and Well right here in the USA


#1: The plague, as in the bubonic plague. Here in the states, it's found in the southwest, like in New Mexico. In addition to humans, other mammals like cats can get and do get the plague. A bacterium causes it (Yersinia pestis) and it's transmitted by fleas.
#2: Mullets. Yes, up here in Western New York, they're alive and well. I was reminded of this today when Marcus returned from running some errands and asked the rhetorical question "why is it when you go into Walmart the hairstyle of choice is the mullet?". I went onto wikipedia and they have not only a historical overview of the mullet and its origins, but sub categories of the mullet, like the skullet. It's great! I think my most memorable and disturbing mullet moment is last summer when Marcus and I were in the Phoenix Aiport on a layover and I witnessed a middle-aged Filipino man with a mullet.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A Filipino with a Mullet. Seeing how the mullet is classically an American hair do all I can say is......Thank god for Globalization. Tackiness has no political boundries.